A chapter marker provides a way to convey viewing milestones within the timeline of a player. It allows the segmentation of long videos into discrete segments.
A viewer can quickly hover over the cue point and can see the title of the chapter or section. Clicking on the cue point navigates you directly to that point of the video. These markers are rendered by the player when a standard WebVTT text track is provided in the player embed code.
JWP provides the following approaches to adding chapter markers to the videos in your media library.
This is a beta offering. By using this documentation, you are agreeing to abide by the terms of the JWP Beta Program Agreement
The Asset Editor enables you to define chapter markers for a media item directly within your JWP dashboard.
Use the following video and steps to create chapter markers.
- From your JWP Media Library, click the name of a video. The details page for the video appears.
- In the preview window, click the Asset Editor icon. The Asset Editor screen appears.
- On the Chapters tab under Chapter Tracks, click New Track.
- In the Track Label field, enter the name of the track.
- Click Add Chapter. Fields appear to define a chapter.
- Select the start time and enter the chapter text.
- Click Done. The chapter appears in the chapter list.
- Repeat steps 5-7 to add another chapter.
- Click Save.
JWP also enables you to manually create a .vtt file that you can associate to video.
Use the following steps to create a .vtt file.
- In a text editor, create a new file.
- Add information for cue timings and chapter titles. Cue identifiers are optional.
- Save the file.
A .vtt file should always be saved in UTF8 encoding to prevent character issues.
WEBVTT Chapter 1 00:00:00.000 --> 00:01:42.000 Opening credits Chapter 2 00:01:42.000 --> 00:04:44.000 A dangerous quest Chapter 3 00:04:44.000 --> 00:05:50.000 The attack
|Cue Timings||(Required) Specifies the time zone for the cue |
For example :
The chapter will be displayed on the start of the zone.
|Chapter title||(Required) The title you want to display for the chapter. |
|Cue identifier||(Optional) Used to identify the actual cue point |
If your content is uploaded or registered with the JWP dashboard, you can also host your VTT file on the JWP platform.
A .vtt file is subject to cross-domain security restrictions and therefore will not automatically load from another domain than the player.
Use the following video and steps to add chapter markers.
- From your Media Library, click the name of the video to which to add chapter markers. The video details page appears.
- Click ViewAssets. The Media Assets panel appears.
- On the Tracks tab, click Add Chapters Track.
- Select a single .vtt file or multiple .vtt files to open from your computer. The selected file or files are uploaded and associated with the video.
- Click Close. The panel closes.
- Click Save.
Updated about 1 month ago