If you have captions or subtitles for your video content, you can use your JWP dashboard to add side-loaded captions.
In addition to providing your viewers with text that explains the audio aspects of your video content, adding captions to your online video content can provide several additional benefits:
- Improved video SEO
- Increased content retention
- Increased engagement with autoplay content
- Environment-independent content viewing
- Legal compliance
If you are a developer or have developer resources you can add captions directly in the player code.
To add side-loaded captions to a video in your JWP dashboard, you either add a side-loaded caption file to your video or create a caption track for your video from within the dashboard.
- From your JWP dashboard Media Library, click the name of the video.
- Click View Assets under Media Summary.
- In the Captions section, select Upload Captions Track. The file picker will appear.
- Choose a single file or multiple files from your computer. The selected content is uploaded and associated with the video.
The JW Platform does not currently validate caption files on upload. Make sure to validate these files before uploading.
Use the following steps to upload your thumbnails:
- From your JWP dashboard Media Library, click the name of the video. The details page for the video appears
- In the preview window, click the Asset Editor icon. The Asset Editor screen appears.
- On the Captions tab, click + New Captions Track. The captions editor page appears.
- In the Track Label field, enter the name of the caption track.
- In the Language field, enter the language of the captions.
- Under Captions, click + Add Caption. Fields appear to define a caption.
- Select the start time and enter the caption text.
- Click Done. The caption appears in the caption list.
Click in the preview player to preview the captions.
- Repeat steps 6-8 to add another caption.
- Click Save.
- Register your videos.
- In step 3, be sure to select No, don't host media on import when registering your videos. If video content with embedded captions is uploaded to your JWP account, the embedded captions may be removed during the transcoding process.
Updated 9 days ago