Please note, this document describes the advertising clients, formats, and servers that are only supported in the Enterprise edition of JWP. For inquiries related to creating or upgrading to an Enterprise account, please submit your contact information here.
JWP supports the industry-standard ad clients listed in the following table.
|VAST/VPAID||Ads served by a VAST-compliant video ad server. This is the default and most widely used method.|
For a sampling of these servers, please see the Supported Ad Servers section below.
|Google IMA||Google's Interactive Media Ads (IMA) SDK version 3 provides support for serving ads via Google's proprietary platforms along with other third-party ad servers.|
|VMAP||VAST or Google IMA Ads served by a VAST-compliant video ad server can be scheduled throughout video playback in a VMAP tag. See Scheduling Ads with VMAP.|
|Freewheel||FreeWheel's HTML5 Ad Manager SDK provides support for serving ads via FreeWheel's proprietary ad server via configuration in their MRM Platform. Serving ads via FreeWheel requires an existing relationship with FreeWheel and is largely separate in implementation from VAST/IMA.|
A single JWP setup is capable of delivering ads across desktop browsers and mobile devices (iOS/Android). In particular, we support the following standards:
|VAST||• VAST 4.0 8.0.0+|
The player can play VAST 4.1 XML. However, the player but does not support all VAST 4.1 features. Currently, VAST 4.1 XML is treated like VAST 4.0 XML.
• VAST 3.0 + VPAID 2.0 < 8.0.0
|Google IMA||IMA version 3|
Video ads work on all Supported Browsers and platforms (desktop, mobile, OTT), provided that they have a compatible media creative. If a video ad is played in fullscreen, it will not be clickable.
## Supported Ad Creatives
|Ad Pods||MP4, MOV, WEBM, VPAID (JS) MP3, AAC|
|Companions||GIF, JPG, PNG, HTML, IFRAME|
|Linear||MP4, MOV, WEBM, VPAID(JS), MP3, AAC, HLS|
|Non-linear||VPAID (JS), GIF, JPG, PNG|
|Skippable Linear||MP4, MOV, WEBM, VPAID (JS),MP3, AAC, HLS|
• Support for creative types also depends upon the device's HTML5 capabilities. Generally, a .mp4 file work everywhere. A .webm file only works in Firefox/Chrome.
• For IMA, all creatives served by the DFP server are supported. See the IMA SDK Documentation for more info.
• For FreeWheel, only creatives supported by FreeWheel's SDK can be displayed by the player.
Our generic VAST ad client works with any ad server that complies with the IAB's VAST spec. Below is a non-exhaustive list of ad servers our customers have used in the past or present.
|24/7 Real Media||Adap.tv/ONE By AOL||AdForm||AdJuggler|
|Brightroll||Emediate||Google Ad Manager||Innovid|
|Sizmek||Smart Ad Server||Smartclip||SpotXchange|
• As with all cross-origin files, Cross-Domain File Loading must be taken into account for HTML5 (CORS). Make sure to check this if you intend to serve ads between domains.
• For IMA, Google Ad Manager (GAM), Ad Exchange for Video, the AdSense for Video (AFV) network, along with third-party ad servers are supported. See the IMA SDK Documentation for more info.
• For FreeWheel, only FreeWheel's proprietary ad server is supported.
The following table lists functions supported by each ad client.
|Ad Scheduling via Player Setup||YES||YES||YES|
|Ad Tag Variables||YES||YES|
Limited to IMA-compatible variables
|Ad Tag Waterfalling||YES||NO||N/A|
|Configurable Ad Skipping||YES||NO||YES|
|Google IMA Ad Rules||NO||YES||N/A|
|JWP Ads API||YES||YES||YES|
|Per-Playlist Item Schedule||YES||YES||YES|
|VAST 3 Ad Pods||YES||YES||N/A|
|VMAP Ad Schedule||YES||YES||N/A|
Updated 9 days ago